Tropitech ‘All in One’ is a premium quality 100% semi-transparent acrylic finish, which effectively seals wood, resisting moisture penetration, rot and decay. It contains an effective fungicide that resists mildew as well as a powerful UV screener that filters out the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays, thereby slowing the ageing process of the wood.
The Tropitech system bonds “in” and “on” the wood to provide a tough, durable, lustrous finish that both protects and enhances the appearance, beauty and character of the wood. It is available in 4 colors (Cedar, Movingui, Redwood and Sedona).
Tropitech was originally designed for countries with intense heat and UV exposure and as such it provides exemplary protection. Crucially, the Tropitech system enables the preparation and finish of your project to be completed the same day as it can be applied to wet wood as well as dry.
It is water-based and quick drying making it simple and easy to use as well as good for the environment. It really is the simple solution for woodcare which lasts for years. Tropitech has to be applied to a pH neutral surface – this can easily be achieved by first applying a mix of Prepdeck, bleach and water to the surface.
Ideal uses for Tropitech ‘All in One’
- Providing protection for high-traffic areas
- Keeping the decking around a swimming pool at its best
- Giving your outdoor office a new lease of life
- Protecting softwood and hardwood decking
- Preserving your yard furniture
Surface Preparation for Tropitech
Surfaces must first be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings. Tropitech may only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a wood surface previously finished with Tropitech. All other finishes must be completely and thoroughly removed. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning and/or stripping (80 grit paper).
Application Tools: High-quality synthetic brush, paint pad (for smooth horizontal surfaces), synthetic roller or airless spray (.010 – .014 tip @ 1800-2000 psi (124-137 bar).
New wood surfaces
New wood surfaces have a hard shiny surface called mill glaze that prevents maximum penetration and bonding of any finish and this should be removed before starting the application. This is also necessary as Tropitech must be applied to a pH neutral surface. Make up a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water.
To this add Prepdeck in the ratio of 1 part Prepdeck to 4 parts bleach/water solution except for ipe (for ipe add 1 part Prepdeck to 1 part bleach/water solution).
Apply the solution to the surface of the wood and leave it to work for 20 minutes. If the surface starts to dry, re-wet it with the same solution. Next, scrub the surface with a stiff nylon brush, deck brush or use a power-washer (500-1000 psi). Finally, rinse the wood thoroughly with copious amounts of fresh clean water.
Weathered wood surfaces (untreated)
Wood that has weathered longer than 6 months requires thorough cleaning before Tropitech can be applied in order to remove any built-up dirt. Make up a bleach/water solution in the ratio of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water.
Dilute Prepdeck from a minimum of 1 part Prepdeck to 5 parts bleach/water solution, up to a maximum of 1 part Prepdeck to 20 parts bleach/water solution; depending on the condition of the surface to be cleaned.
Apply the solution to the surface and leave it to work for 20 minutes. If the surface starts to dry, re-wet with the same solution. Scrub the surface with a stiff nylon brush, deck brush or use a power-washer (500-1000 psi).
Finally, rinse the wood thoroughly with copious amounts of fresh clean water.
Previously oiled surfaces
All other oils or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed with Aquanett and the stripped surface neutralized with Net-Trol. Once the previous finish has been totally removed, prepare as for ‘New wood surfaces’.
Previously coated surfaces (paint, stain, varnish etc.)
All previous coatings must be completely and thoroughly removed with Prepdeck or a wood stripper before applying Tropitech.
Solvent (oil or alkyd-based finishes): Strip with a stripper then neutralize with Net-Trol.
Acrylic finishes – Water-based: Strip with Prepdeck*, neutralize with Net-Trol.
Once the previous finish has been totally removed, prepare as for ‘New wood surfaces’.
*Woods high in tannins may darken when stripping with Prepdeck and other wood strippers. Neutralizing with Net-Trol will restore the color.
Contact us for additional information and advice before proceeding. Note: Some woods such as cedar, douglas fir and hardwoods (including exotic) may darken from the Prepdeck/bleach/water treatment.
If this occurs, lighten with a bleach/water solution (1 part bleach to 3 parts water). Apply the solution to the surface. Wait 15 minutes, then rinse off. Do not allow the surface to dry prior to using the bleach solution.
Application of Tropitech ‘All-in-one’ wood finish
Prior to applying the 1st application of Tropitech ‘All in One’ wood finish, ensure the surface to be coated is cool to the touch. If the surface is hot, cool it with water and apply the 1st coat of Tropitech to the cooled wet surface.
Remove any puddles of water just before applying. You should still apply additional coats to a dry surface – do not re-wet the surface after the 1st application. Stir the Tropitech thoroughly before and periodically during application.
- Apply a 1st liberal application and allow it to become touch dry.
- Apply a second coat as soon as the first coat is dry. After the second coat is dry inspect the finish.
- If the finish has a uniform sheen and luster, the proper amount of material was applied. If the finish looks blotchy or lacks uniformity apply a third in the same manner as the 2nd.
- For heavy traffic areas i.e. walkways, decks, docks etc. or for better resistance, a third coat should be applied.
This will depend on exposure to the sun, weather and foot traffic. Inspect the finish annually.
If small areas are found to have flaked, cracked or have been damaged from wear and tear proceed as follows:
- Remove all loose debris and other surface contamination.
- Make up a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water.
- Scrub bleach/water solution into the surface and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse wood thoroughly with clean water, using the highest pressure source available, or by lightly pressure washing.
- While wood is wet apply one coat of Tropitech and leave it to dry.
- When the 1st coat is dry, apply an even 2nd coat of Tropitech and feather in.
- For heavy traffic apply a 3rd coat.
For severely damaged Tropitech finishes please contact us for more information.
Clean all tools and equipment with warm soapy water. Wet drips or runs can be removed using a cloth wetted with water. If the product has dried use denatured alcohol or Prepdeck to remove it.
Do not use Net-Trol or other acid-based cleaners with Tropitech except where stated.
Things to Remember
- Before starting, test color choice on a small area. Allow to dry to determine final color.
- Buy sufficient product for the whole job.
- For color uniformity mix all product together that is to be applied to any one area or section.
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 10°C and 30°C.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces. Note: Wood surfaces in direct sunlight can reach temperatures as high as 60°C even if air temperature only reaches 30°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24 hours.
- Stir product thoroughly before and during application.
- Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame. Never stop application in the middle of the board or wall.
- Always work with a wet-edge and finish off in one direction to avoid lapping. Do not cut in until ready to do whole board.
- Immediately brush out or wipe up any drips or runs to avoid them drying into the finish.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage
There are no reviews yet.