Textrol is a penetrating wood oil finish for exterior softwood and hardwood on both horizontal and vertical surfaces. It is a penetrative product which saturates the wood to protect it from within – as there’s no film on the surface it will not peel or flake.
Textrol enhances the natural beauty of the wood whilst providing a mildew-resistant finish with exceptional and long-lasting protection from the effects of moisture, weathering, and UV rays. It can be applied wet-on-wet which saves time as you don’t need to wait for coats to dry during application and the maintenance is easy with local touch-ups and no laborious sanding required!
When first applied, Textrol will give the wood a rich, matte color which will gradually lighten over time to the finished look. It is now available in 4 different colors for a range of looks all with premium protection.
Ideal Uses for Textrol Penetrating Wood Oil
- Reviving dried-out and weather-beaten decks
- Protecting fencing and gates from splitting and cracking
- Maintaining decking with no laborious sanding
- Enhancing the natural wood look of yard furniture
- Showcasing beautiful sidings and cladding
- Protecting decks for the future
Why should I use Textrol?
If you are looking for a finish that brings life to older wood and allows the wood to shine through then Textrol is perfect for doing just that. It is also great if you are looking for protection from the effects of moisture, UV rays and weathering.
The maintenance of Textrol is very simple too, there is no sanding required and you can bring the finish back to life with a few localized touch-ups wherever you may need them.
When Textrol is first applied it will leave the wood looking nice and rich. Over time this will fade into a lighter color to give the finished look. Using this oil-based wood finish gives you the best of both worlds. It provides brilliant protection from the elements while enhancing the beauty of the wood.
Applying Textrol to hardwood or softwood couldn’t be simpler, it is a nice and quick process with very simple clean up. As Textrol’s place is within the wood, the application process involves repeated coats being applied ‘wet-on-wet’ until no more oil can be absorbed into the wood.
Please Note swatches are given as a guide only and are based on use for light-coloured softwoods. Actual color will depend on the type and age of the wood surface treated. Always test a sample first before coating the entire surface.
- Air-less sprayer .011 – .015 ﬂuid tip/ 700-800 psi or less
- Garden sprayer
New wood surfaces
New wood surfaces have a hard shiny surface known as mill glaze which prevents maximum penetration and bonding of any ﬁnish. To properly prepare the surface for application, and minimize splitting, swelling, cupping and checking caused by exposure to the sun and rain, first treat with Seasonite and allow the wood to weather for 6-12 months before applying Textrol.
Weathered wood surfaces
All surfaces must first be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime and mildew. If any mildew is present, treat it with a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Scrub the solution on to the surface and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Clean weathered wood with Net-Trol to remove the loose wood fibers, dirt and other surface contaminants. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning (80 grit paper). After cleaning, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 days before ﬁnishing.
Previously oiled surfaces
Textrol may only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a weathered wood that was previously ﬁnished with Textrol. All other oils or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed with a wood oil remover such as Owatrol’s Aquanett and then the surface must be cleaned and neutralized with Net-Trol before applying Textrol. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning and stripping (80 grit paper). After cleaning, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 days before ﬁnishing.
Previously coated surfaces
Textrol may only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a weathered wood surface that was previously ﬁnished with Textrol. All previous coating must be completely and thoroughly removed with a stripper and neutralized with Net-Trol before applying Textrol. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning and stripping (80 grit paper). After cleaning, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 days before finishing.
Application of Textrol penetrating wood oil
- Apply the first coat of Textrol and allow it to penetrate into the wood (15-30 minutes).
- Apply a second application and allow it to penetrate for 15-30 minutes. If required repeat this procedure until the wood is saturated i.e. will accept no more oil.
- Do not allow Textrol to become touch dry or dry between coats.
- Once the timber is saturated, brush out or wipe up any excess product that has not penetrated to avoid shiny spots.
NOTE: Textrol is not a surface coating, its place is in the wood not on the surface.
Decks & other horizontal surfaces
Most decks & horizontal surfaces will only require a maintenance application of Textrol every other year. A single application of Textrol every other year will be sufﬁcient to refresh the natural beauty of the deck/horizontal surface and to maintain protection. A periodic clean between applications with Net-trol to remove dirt and contamination will renew the appearance of the wood.
Cladding & other vertical surfaces
Most cladding and vertical surfaces will only require touch up applications of Textrol. When areas treated with Textrol turn grey, clean with Net-trol and apply a single application of Textrol to replace material which has weathered out. Areas retaining good color do not need a maintenance application.
Badly weathered areas may require 2 applications of Textrol (apply the second application as soon as the first has penetrated the wood). Surfaces with harsh exposures to the sun and weather will weather wear more quickly than other areas. If this happens, clean effected areas with Net-Trol and apply Textrol as necessary, blending into areas which still have good color.
Clean all tools and equipment with white spirit whilst still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper.
NOTE: Any rags, steel wool etc. soaked in Textrol may spontaneously catch ﬁre if improperly discarded. These must be saturated with water after use or placed in a sealed, water ﬁlled metal container, before disposing with household waste.
Things to Remember
- Before starting, test the color choice on a small area. Allow to dry to determine ﬁnal color (remember that this color will lighten over a couple of months to the final color).
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 5°C and 35°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24-48 hours.
- Mix product thoroughly before and during application.
- Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame.
- Never stop application in the middle of a wall.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.
- Do not allow to dry between coats – apply Textrol ‘wet on wet’
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage
- If using an airless sprayer it should be .011 – .015 ﬂuid tip/ 700-800 psi or less