Owatrol Solid Color Stain (SCS) is an opaque wood protection and finish designed for both new and weathered exterior wood surfaces, both horizontal and vertical. It contains Owatrol’s Easy Bond, giving it excellent adherence without the need for lengthy preparation and priming – unrivalled by other available products.
SCS is available in 10 different shades and is guaranteed against flaking and peeling for 15 years on vertical surfaces and 5 years on horizontal surfaces when applied correctly via our instructions. It provides exceptional protection against moisture and performs well in high traffic areas.
Ideal Uses for Solid Color Stain
- Perfect for decks, docks and other horizontal surfaces
- Stunning on outdoor furniture in any of the 10 shades
- Long-lasting protection for fencing and other vertical surfaces
- Rich matte finish on cladding and trim
- Beautiful for log cabins and summer houses
- Performs well on new and old wood
New wood surfaces
Before using SCS, all surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease and mildew. However, if your wood is new it will also have a hard shiny surface known as mill glaze which prevents maximum penetration – preventing any coating from adhering properly.
We would always recommend new wood is treated with Seasonite new wood protection and then allowed to weather for a minimum of 6 months, after which time Solid Color Stain can be applied following the instructions for weathered wood.
Weathered wood surfaces
Untreated wood surfaces which have weathered for 6 months or more need a thorough cleaning to restore their original color and remove any built-up dirt before applying SCS.
To do this simply use Net-Trol wood cleaner which is scrubbed on, left to work and then scrubbed and rinsed off. Be sure to allow your wood to dry thoroughly for 48 hours afterwards before applying Solid Color Stain.
Previously coated surfaces
In this case, first sand or scrape to remove any loose, flaking or peeling finish (if there is any). If necessary, you should strip the surface with Prepdeck and then neutralize it with Net-Trol wood cleaner.
Then allow 48 hours for the surface to dry before applying SCS.
Applying Owatrol’s Solid Color Stain
Owatrol’s Solid Color Stain is incredibly easy to apply by following these simple instructions.
- First, apply a coat of SCS avoiding heavy application.
- Next, allow this coat to dry for 3-4 hours before applying a second coat.
- If applying by spray, always back-brush or back-roll immediately after application to ensure uniformity of color, coverage and penetration.
Surfaces with harsh exposure to weather or traffic will wear more quickly than other areas. In these cases, clean affected areas with Net-Trol and re-coat as necessary.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water whilst still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper. NOTE: Rags soaked in this product should be soaked with water before disposing of with household waste.
Things to Remember
- Before starting your project, test penetration and absorbency by sprinkling water lightly onto the wood. If the water is absorbed rapidly, the surface is free of contamination and ready for staining. If water is repelled, thorough preparation, as for new wood must be performed.
- Before starting the application, test the color choice on a small area and allow to dry to determine final color.
- Purchase sufficient product for the whole job and mix all product together before starting to avoid color variances.
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 10°C and 35°C.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight, on hot surfaces.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 48 hours.
- Mix product thoroughly before and during application. Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.
- If using an airless sprayer it should be (.017-.021 tip at 1800-2000 psi (124-138 bars))