Aquatrol is a water-based saturating finish with a gel consistency that is designed to revitalize weather-beaten, dried-out decks and exterior wood. It helps to restore the warm richness of the woods natural beauty.
Aquatrol penetrates deep into the wood, protecting it against damage caused by UV rays and moisture whilst also creating a mildew resistant finish that will not crack, peel or flake.
When you first apply Aquatrol, the wood will darken to a rich matte color and then gradually lighten depending on the intensity of sun exposure.
Due to its gel-like consistency, Aquatrol can be easily used on horizontal or vertical surfaces, so it’s great for using on many wooden surfaces such as decks, fences, outdoor furniture and cladding.
Ideal uses for Aquatrol
- External wooden surfaces.
- Perfect for horizontal or vertical surfaces due to its gel-like consistency.
- Easy to use and maintain.
- Great for revitalizing weather-beaten and dried-out exterior wood.
Surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings.
Treat mildew with a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Scrub solution on to the surface and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes then rinse thoroughly.
After cleaning, allow the wood to dry 2-3 good drying days or until it has reached a moisture content of 18% or less before applying the finish.
Aquatrol may only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a weathered wood surface that was previously finished with Aquatrol. All other finishes must be completely and thoroughly removed.
If necessary sand surface after cleaning and/or stripping (80 grit paper).
New wood surfaces:
Aquatrol may only be applied to weathered wood. All new wood should be treated with Seasonite and allowed to weather 6-12 months before applying Aquatrol.
Weathered wood surfaces (untreated):
Wood that has weathered longer than 6 months or turned gray should be cleaned with Net-Trol to remove all loose wood fibers, dirt and other surface contaminants before applying Aquatrol.
Previously oiled surfaces:
All other oils or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed with Prepdeck and the stripped surface neutralized with Net-Trol before applying Aquatrol.
Previously coated surfaces (paint, stain, varnish etc):
All previous coatings must be completely and thoroughly removed with Prepdeck or Aquanett and the stripped surface neutralized with Net-Trol before applying Aquatrol.
Wood oil finishes:
Strip with Aquanett, neutralize with Net-Trol.
Acrylic finishes – Water-based:
Strip with Prepdeck, neutralize with Net-Trol.
For woods high in tannins please contact us for additional information and advice.
- Apply 2 even, liberal applications of Aquatrol wet-on-wet.
- Apply 1st liberal application of Aquatrol and allow to penetrate into the wood.
- Apply 2nd application as soon as the milky appearance of the 1st application has disappeared (normally 15-30 minutes) and allow to penetrate into the wood.
- If required repeat this procedure until the wood is saturated i.e. will accept no more product.
- Do not allow Aquatrol to become touch dry or dry between coats.
- Once the timber is saturated, brush out or wipe up any excess product that has not penetrated to avoid Aquatrol drying as shiny spots on the surface.
Aquatrol is not a surface coating, its place is in the wood not on the surface. Aquatrol protects by penetrating the wood, providing a rich matte finish.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water while still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper
- Maintenance is due when the treated wood takes on a weathered gray look or has severely faded.
- Severely faded or weathered areas that have turned gray should be cleaned with Net-Trol.
- Surfaces with harsh exposures to the sun and weather will wear more quickly than other areas. In these cases, clean affected areas with Net-Trol and re-apply Aquatrol as directed under ‘“Application” instructions above.
- Areas retaining good color do not need a maintenance application of Aquatrol.
- Blend newly treated areas into areas which still have good color.
Decks and other horizontal surfaces
Most decks & horizontal surfaces will only require a maintenance application of Aquatrol every other year.
A single application of Aquatrol every other year will be sufficient to refresh the natural beauty of the deck/horizontal surface and to maintain protection.
For very porous or badly weathered surfaces a 2nd application may be required. This should be applied as directed under “Application” instructions above.
A periodic clean, between applications, with Net-Trol to remove dirt and contamination, will renew the appearance of the wood.
Cladding and other vertical surfaces
Most cladding and vertical surfaces will only require touch up applications of Aquatrol
When treated Aquatrol areas turn gray, clean with Net-Trol and apply a single application of Aquatrol to replace material which has weathered out.
For very porous or badly weathered areas a 2nd application may be required. This should be applied as directed under “Application” instructions above.
Things to remember
- Before starting, test your color choice on a small area. Allow it to dry to determine the final color.
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 10°C and 35°C. Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
Note: Wood surfaces in direct sunlight can reach temperatures as high as 60°C even if air temperature only reaches 30°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24-48 hours.
- Stir product thoroughly before and during application. Do not thin.
- For color uniformity, mix all product together that is to be applied to any one area or section.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame.
- Never stop application in the middle of the board or wall.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.
- Do not allow to dry between coats – apply Aquatrol ‘wet on wet’.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage.
- Do not use on hardboard, plywood, including T1-11 or over previously stained, varnished or painted wood.
- Do not use on new wood.
- Do not use on hardwoods such as oak, ipe, iroko, teak etc
- Do not use in enclosed areas such as porches, verandas etc